Friday, October 15, 2010

Books

 After reading Obsidian Butterfly, I've decided I really like the Anita Blake character. It's somehow relaxing to read about someone with a more complicated love life and a more harrowing job than me! (I kid.) I just love women who kick ass, with their deadly grace.

With that finished, I've turned my mind to non-fiction and more intellectual reads. When I read, I like to go back and forth between fiction and non-fiction.

I just recently received Hos, Hookers, Call Girls and Rent Boys and it's become my hotel book. Picking my way through the stories when I have a few moments, it's great to read the stories of others.  Their stories are voices of encouragement and empowerment. Thank you for this book.  I'm combining this read with Starhawk's Truth or Dare: Encounters with Power, Authority and Mystery. It touches on issues of female empowerment, authority of self and other, magic and seeking enlightenment in shadow work--all topics that mix well with sex work.

I'm coming up to my 10th month, and look on my mostly positive experiences. And honestly, the more I do it, the more I look forward to doing more. I enjoy the polite, secret game that is played during a dinner. I like invoking that spirit of desire, the excitment of newness even in my regular clients. I enjoy playing the role of the courtesan, the brazen whore--the more I do, the more comfortable it comes.  I see myself doing this for some time, years, building a foundation of experience that will continue to build. I don't know how long the path will be, but I'm going to enjoy each step as I follow it where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment