Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Solstice

Oh what a solstice it's been!  Just last week I was busy with my special. I had been meaning to write about how well it went, and the solstice weekend but truth be told, I got distracted by a new book I bought this weekend.

Jaqueline Carey is my favorite author at the moment, and has been since I read her first book, Kushiel's Dart. In this new book, Naamah's Kiss, the main character is gifted by Naamah, the sacred harlot of Terre D'Ange's pantheon. I particularly like how she handles sexuality and sacredness in these fantasy novels. I like everything about her books, actually but I want to stay on topic! Yes, I think I like her writing enough that I would give her a free session. (A long shot, but a girl can dream, can't she?)

My 2 for 1 special went well, met a couple of nice gentlemen that made it really easy to enjoy myself. I did consider extending it through the weekend, but I had some other plans. It was great to honor the masculine in such a way! 

I don't think it's merely coincidence that Father's Day comes along near the time of the Summer Solstice. The sun has long been linked to the male archetype in the Western World. So the weekend, for me, involved exposing my milky skin to the sun and checking out the North Beach festival. (I may need a more powerful sunscreen if I'm to keep my moon-like glow!)

I have to say, I liked the North Beach fest better than Haight St's fair this year. The Haight St. fair was so crowded, but there was a strange edge to the crowd and it was a little overwhelming.  Plus North Beach had sidewalk artists, so there was just a little more space to breath.

The solstice was busy, bustling. A sowing and planting of seeds, and a celebration of the God who is Her divine lover. I'm looking forward to seeing what beginning of summer will bring me!

No comments:

Post a Comment